Tuesday, February 3, 2009

More

A good five inches fell late yesterday afternoon and into the evening. They say it has been the biggest snowfall in England for twenty years but that is probably because the national news emerges from London and they very rarely experience proper snow down there. It has reminded me of a time some sixteen years ago when the kids and I sledged all the way down our long sloping road. How we laughed.
I love the quietness of snow. Not just the absence of traffic on the roads but the deadening of noise. It muffles everything so that when a sound does appear you notice it all the more. It is distinct.

Suffice to say, the phone rang at 6.45am. It was the Wicked Witch of the North - our esteemed headteacher. Time to put the bad weather phone cascade into operation. I stirred all my English teachers from their slumbers to bring them the bad news - school closure today. How will we ever complete our schemes of work now? Fretting about this, I lumbered down to Johanna's little sandwich shop cafe for a full English breakfast before snapping the extra wintry scenes above for your interest and appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment