Monday, February 2, 2009

Snow

They closed my workplace at lunchtime today. I was back home by 2.15. The main roads of Sheffield were clear and tarmac grey and the pavements only had a thin coating of the white stuff as I drove home in near record time. On a good day it takes 21 minutes. Today I made it in 19 mins 45 seconds. A great run! No other commuters around and no doubt plenty of scaredycats at home watching "The Jeremy Kyle Show" or some other such nonsense, instead of clogging up the roads.

Now it's 3.30pm. Thick flakes are falling and in the last hour I guess an inch has come down. We live on a hill and the road outside our house is treacherous so I left the car on the top flat road ready for tomorrow morning.... but you never know your luck! With all this legendary global warming around, it could be the return of the Ice Age and another day off work.

Before plonking myself down at this keyboard, I nipped oiutside to take a few snaps specially for this post - just to make visitors from The Antipodes envious of our weather as they suffer in their uncomfortable heatwaves! "Hay Shoila! Chack annava burger on the barbie!"

Above:- Pudding Towers Tradesmen's Entrance/ The little stone girl under the cherry tree/ hedge sparrows on the bird table. See how THICK the snow was at 2.30! Like Canada or Lapland. How did I make it home?

No comments:

Post a Comment