Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Miracle of Life

I wanted to write about the 12th anniversary of the Columbine school shootings, as I did last year, but my mind was empty all day. Instead, I looked through one of my albums on facebook, "practicing the miraculous in everyday life," and found inspiration there. I started this album two years ago, as an attempt to focus my attention on the beautiful parts of my life. I decided not to care whether my pictures came out cheesy, artsy-fartsy, or self-indulgent. I was just going to take pictures of things that made me smile and share them.

It worked. I became increasingly more aware of what inspired and moved me. My surroundings played a bigger part in my appreciation of life and beauty. There was room in the album for nature, city life, silly faces, loved ones, funny moments, melancholy, nostalgia, and, of course, love.

It is my collection of miracles, and it has restored my faith many times.

It is through some of these pictures, then, that I will honor life today.


Practicing the miraculous in everyday life. 2009-2011


The steps to the fountain in Washington Square Park, where I go when I need inspiration, or just a little love from the city.


Sunset on the 4th of July, view from Brooklyn. Kerri and I ran up that crazy hill in Dumbo on that night, trying to get to this sunset, and then to the fireworks. Worth it.


Footprint on the sand in Hermosa Beach, CA. I love wet sand, and my favorite is when it has that moonlike consistency, where your footprints kind of rise up for a few seconds. It delights me.


I found this one day in Central Park two summers ago, when I really needed to restore my faith in love and romance. It also reminds me of Notting Hill, which happens to be one of my favorite movies. (I know. Whatever. Leave me alone.)


I have a passion for face masks, especially bright blue ones (the smurfier the better, I say, for smurfs have such good skin!), and this picture became an instant classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment