Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Winner

Some visitors to this blog may recall that one of my favourite websites has become "Geograph" which receives and hosts thousands of "amateur" photographs which together make a pictorial jigsaw of Great Britain and Ireland. From time to time, I have added photos of my own, blissfully unaware that the moderators of this site have devised a sort of competition to find the "Geograph" picture of the year.

Every seven days a "Geograph of the week" is selected and I can hereby humbly and exclusively announce that one of my pictures was picked as the winner for Week 7, 2010. Whoa! Yabbadabbadoo! This was from 7,626 submissions! In making his selection, the judge said - "Wicken Fen is a favourite place of mine and this picture captures it superbly. Often it is the smallest detail that lifts a shot out of the ordinary and it is the reflections of the wind pump's sails in the lode that sold this one to me. The crisp composition is excellent." Here's the picture:-
I took it in mid-February when Shirley and I visited Ely and its surrounding fens. Frankly, I think I have taken better photographs in my time but I suppose it is well-composed and I remember shifting my feet ever so slightly to make sure I got that reflection in. My prize is an all-expenses paid holiday in a five star hotel in Bermuda. Only kidding! The winner simply gets to pick the "best" picture the following week and here's the one I picked by a Scottish gentleman (Jock). He called it "Beach at Lochbuie" which is on the Isle of Mull in Bonnie Scotland:-
Autographed copies of "Wind pump at Wicken Fen" can be purchased for only £42.50 from Yorkshire Pudding Enterprises Ltd.. Remember to add £11.99 for postage and packing and allow three years for delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment