Saturday, June 26, 2010

News on Mao and Yu-Na

Olympic silver medallist, Mao Asada headed to Korea this week for Medalist on ice in Seoul. Interestingly she did not face off against Yu-Na Kim, however other participants included Evan Lysacek, Evgeni Plushenko, Shen and Zhao, Miki Ando, Alexei Yagudin and Virtue and Moir. A star-studded cast to make up for the absense of the Korean Superstar.

After practice on Friday, Asada told reporters, "Figure skating got more attention because of the rivalry between Kim Yu-na and me. I hope the momentum carries on with more such 'good' rivalry."

Turning to changes to the scoring system by the International Skating Union that have already been dubbed the "Asada rules," the skater said there is no truth in the claim that they work in her favor. At the official press conference at Hyundai Card headquarters in Seoul, Asada said, "It's good that the ISU raised the base value of certain jumps. But that in itself isn't to my advantage. What's important is that I nail the triple axels in the competition. If I don't, the rules don't matter at all."

The ISU in early May announced new rules for its figure skating scoring system, which included increasing the base value of technically more demanding jumps while decreasing it for easier jumps. Kim Yu-na expressed dissatisfaction at the change by saying, "I don't understand why they tried to change the rules in such a way."
(Adapted from an article in The Chosen Ilbo)

Meanwhile. Yu-Na has taken a vacation in Tobermory, Canada with her fellow Korean skater Min-Jung Kwak who now trains with her in Toronto. Yu-Na is due to skate in Korea for 'All That Skate Summer', July 23-25. The show is organised by All That Sports, The managing agency Yu-Na and her mother sat up themselves. She too will attract big names including Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen.

Yu-Na posted this about her vacation.

“I feel like I haven’t been on a vacation like this since I was young. I always talked about how I wanted to go on a vacation.. Although all people are like that k k k So far, I think I have been so immersed in one thing that I never had any time.. Now, all the things I’ve wanted to do.. even the minor things… I want to do each and every one of them!!!

Last weekend, I left for my last break before beginning my summer training… I was so happy for the 2 nights and 3 days. I was happy.. I was happy… The realization that the next day is Monday……. I couldn’t speak….”

I think the girl deserves a well-earned break!

No comments:

Post a Comment