Sunday, February 26, 2012

Negative commentary

This video caught my attention on youtube today - a compilation of the negative comments made by NBC commentators about gymnasts performances. I wouldn't say this is a problem limited to NBC, or even to gymnastics. During the 2010 olympics I was constantly frustrated by Robin Cousin's downright grumpy commentary on the figure skating events.

The role of commentators as I see it is to provide insight for people who are new to the sport (particularly at major events like the olympics where you get a lot of 'first timers') and to provide interesting anecdotes for the fans. Yes some critique is necessary to demonstrate the rules, but keep it positive please!

I recently forgot my headphones on a train and watched the 2011 women's team final on mute- it actually gave me more of a chance to appreciate what I was watching!

I think my favourites commentators would have to be Matt Baker (BBC) for gymnastics and Kurt Browning (CBC) for figure skating, both know what they are talking about having actually competed and generally are a pleasure to listen to!

Please comment- how do you feel about commentary - what do you love/hate?
Who would you love to see commenting that doesn't currently?

No comments:

Post a Comment