Monday, February 6, 2012

The Importance of "Me Time"

Between four jobs and two plays, I have discovered the importance of doing things, every day, that are just for me. Something that gives me pleasure, that makes me smile, that warms my heart, and that improves my quality of life. I share some here with you, and encourage you to find your own and share them, for they have a very powerful effect on the people around you too.


- Having a chocolate chip cookie from pret a manger. 
Maybe not something to do every day (unless it's an especially hectic week), but every once in a while, it is necessary to indulge. Their cookies are perfect. In 30 seconds, they improve my day and spirits by 100%. Try them. I am sharing with you one of my best-kept secrets, friends. Do not take it for granted. Go to pret a manger. Get a chocolate chip cookie. It will change your life too.

- Listening to fun music. 
It has taken me a long, long time to find this. The thing is, I love folk music, so I have always assumed that it made me happy. But actually, silly and fun music makes me happiest, fastest. As it turns out, I don't always need meaningful lyrics and sad guitar strings. Sometimes I need... Lady Gaga and Lily Allen, over and over again.

Tiramisu I made last week. 
- Cooking or baking something complicated.
If you're my facebook friend, you've seen the pictures. Cooking and baking gives me a ridiculous amount of pleasure, and even though I often do it for others, the act itself is just for me. If a recipe takes 5 hours, I'm all about it. If it takes 3 days, even better. Orange marmalade, braised lamb shanks, chocolate mousse, or an entire Thanksgiving meal from scratch-- it all makes me incredibly happy. And I'm notorious for not wanting anyone in the kitchen with me. It's my me time, and I share it only with my sharp chef knife and my extra extra virgin Italian olive oil.

- Reading a self-help book.
I love self-help books. Curling up in a corner and reading them with a pad of paper next to me so I can write out all of the blazing insights I'm having about myself makes me so happy. Currently reading: "The 5 Love Languages," by Gary Chapman. Highly recommend it!


- Watching The Food Network. 
I can't watch anything for as long as I can watch The Food Network. It drives anyone who lives with me crazy, but I am an addict. I'm a foodie. It makes me happy to learn about food.

- Walking.
I often get off the subway one or two stops before my destination so I get a little walking time. It's just so important to me. I can think, clear my head, observe, listen to some music, feel the world around me, and decompress. Even 10 minutes of walking makes a difference in my quality of life.

- Writing. 
I always feel so happy after I blog. And I have four journals: my one sentence a day for five years journal, my dream journal, my morning pages pad, and my journal journal. Things are on my mind, on to the paper or screen they go. Toxic thoughts especially need to get out, but insights, gratitude lists, prayers, and hopes also need to be written down. And I like to be alone when I write. It's my me time. It's important. It makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment