Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Their Story

Inspired by the poem "I Go Back to May 1937" by Sharon Olds, which was quoted in the film "Into the Wild".

They are drinking and laughing.
They are beautiful and stupid.
They are unwrinkled and full of life.
They are horny and blind.

I want to pull her out of there by her hair,
I want to knock him unconscious,
before they make a fatal mistake.

I want to yell No!
I want to tell her, Run away,
he'll hurt you,
he'll never love you.

I want to hold him back, warn him,
Don't do it,
she's not who she seems to be,
in a few years the girl you see in front of you
will be dead
inside the body of a tired, angry mother.

I want to shake her and say Stop!
Be careful!
No matter how many of his shirts you iron,
no matter how many of his children you raise,
you will never have his heart.

I want to kick him away and say Don't!
Watch out!
You'll never get to live the
life you wanted.
You'll never be able to get out.

I want to beg them,
Please, turn away while you still can

You will yell at each other until he goes deaf.
You will raise children in a home of war.
You will cut each other's souls and
kill each other's dreams.

Don't do it, I want to scream,
You are not the people you will become.

But I don't say it.

I let them fall in lust.

Let them turn into animals and suck the blood
from each other's hearts.
Let them age into soldiers fighting on different sides
of the same war.
Let them make their mistakes.

Let me be born of their biggest mistake.

Let them love me too much because they
can not love each other.
Let me learn love in a house of hate.
Let me be the quiet one.
Let me grow to be a story teller.

Let me be the only one who can tell their story.


No comments:

Post a Comment