Sunday, June 19, 2011

My Dad

I have a really great dad.

I have the kind of dad who woke up at 6:00am every day for 17 years, dressed his kids, made sure they brushed their teeth, and waited with them for the school bus- all the while letting his daughter talk like a parrot, and always seeming 100% engaged in her every word.

I have the kind of dad who worked 10-12 hour days, always came home with a smile, had dinner with his family, and then helped his children with their math homework. His daughter was exceptionally difficult, as she was not only terrible at math, but also made a big drama out of any little assignment she didn't understand. If he ever would have preferred to sit in front of the TV and unwind from his long days with a glass of wine, he didn't show it.

I have the kind of dad who watched Toy Story so many times he knew it by heart. 

I have the kind of dad who wore the same belt for 27 years, drove the same car for 10 years, and never owned a Rolex. Instead, his children saw the world, studied at the best schools, and started off their lives debt-free.

I have the kind of dad who got so nervous when he met his daughter's first boyfriend he chewed his tongue instead of his bubble gum. But he always let her make her own decisions. If he disapproved, he never assumed his daughter wasn't smart enough to eventually figure it out for herself.

I have the kind of dad who re-read all the books his kids were reading for school, took his son to Little League on Saturdays, and sat through every one of his daughter's plays.

I have the kind of dad who said, "No, I can't go watch the game at the bar with the guys, I have to help my daughter learn her lines." 

I have the kind of dad who taught his daughter Shakespeare and Poe and Cummings before she could even write her name in cursive.

I have the kind of dad who sees the world with such positivity and love it can shake the cynicism out of even the most skeptical New Yorker.

I have the kind of dad who lets me know, every day, that I am loved.



I'm so lucky to be my daddy's girl.


Happy Father's Day to all the great dads out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment