Monday, June 6, 2011

Saving Money in New York City

Recently, I installed an app on my phone where I account for every penny I spend. As soon as I close my wallet, I reach for my phone and log in exactly what I just spent. Having to write down every single one of my expenses has been an eye-opener, and has kept me from going over my weekly budget. It has also shown me where I spend money unnecessarily, and how I can save money. I thought I'd share the places I've found I can really save money on, in case anyone else can use the tips, and maybe people will have other suggestions too.

1. Magazines or newspapers. Read them for free at Barnes & Nobles or online. I do like having the physical magazine, though, so for the ones I really want to have at home, it's time to woman up and get a subscription. Saves me about $50 a week.

2. Water. Fill up a water bottle at home with filtered tap water and don't buy water, ever. Not even $1.00 water bottles in the street. Saves me about $7 a day.

3. Coffee. Ah, this one was hard. No to Starbucks. No to Mud. No to deli coffee. No to iced coffee. No to lattes. I have coffee at home, I am perfectly capable of brewing it myself, and I have thermal cups if I need to travel with it. Plus, I really shouldn't drink more than three cups of coffee a day. This was tough, but it saves me $100 a week, at least.

4. Manicures. I hate going to salons anyway, and they do such a shitty job of it here in the States (compared to Brazil), and charge so much for it, I'm better off doing my nails myself. Going to the manicurist will have to be saved for special occasions. Oh well. Saves me $16.00 a week.

5. Books. I have always justified spending money on books because, well, they're books. They're the best thing to spend money on! They feed my brain, my soul, my heart. They educate me, they inspire me, they make me a better person. They make time pass. But books can be expensive. So, no more new books. I have a membership to the New York Public Library, and it's time I start using it. Time to start checking out books, and not paying a dime for the knowledge and entertainment they provide me with. And, if I really really really want to own a book, buying a used copy online is the cheapest option. I can't even calculate how much money this saves me- that's how many books I buy.

6. Transportation. A single subway ride in New York City costs $2.25. A monthly unlimited pass costs over $100. A cab from my apartment to Times Square, say, costs about $12.00. So, it's summer. Time to start walking. Also, I'm thinking of getting a bike. The savings would be insane.

7. Food. This is probably the hardest one. I have the habit of going out to eat at least three times a week. It's part of the culture of this city; there are so many options, and many of them trick you. Sure, a $15 dinner is pretty cheap. But it's still not as cheap as making food at home. I usually buy my lunch, every day. Convenience plus the social aspect of this habit makes it a really hard one to give up. But it's got to go. I can save up to $200 a week if I cook at home and pack my lunch every day. Time to have people over for dinner, and save dining out for when I'm rich and famous, or on a date with someone who wants to pick up the check (feminists around the world, let us sigh).

And this is how I'm learning to be smarter with my money. I recommend keeping track of one's expenses to anyone and everyone. It's life-changing.

 image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment