Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Terrible Tuesdays - Short Sleeved Leos



Anyone who's followed my twitter through my post competition "Leo Awards" knows that I hate short sleeved leotards. Although they're nearly extinct in US Elite competition, gymnasts across the world continue to wear short sleeved leos. Here's the way I look at it: if you were see Swan Lake and the dancers were all in black leotards, pink tights and leg warmers, it would be tacky. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to wear the same thing you'd wear in practice to an important event, much less to the Olympics. I have a hard time understanding why, on possibly the most important day of a girls life, she would choose to look less than exceptional.    

Now I've heard people say before, "Well, short sleeved leos are less expensive than long sleeved ones!" While that may be true, the average difference between a custom short sleeved and a custom long sleeved leo from GK is about $60 (US). Your delegation surely should be able to splurge $60 on you if, I don't know, you're representing them in international competition! 

It's obviously not the most catastrophic issue in the sport, but it just continues to irk me when girls like Vanessa Ferrari or Youna Dufournet show up to World Championship finals in short sleeved leos. 

But at the end of the day, at least they aren't wearing 1 sleeved leos. (No, seriously.) 

(Khyla Pottenger, 2011 US Challenge) 

Got something you think should be featured on Terrible Tuesdays? Contact me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment