Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My First Book Review


A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard
Difficulty: Easy

Description:
In the summer of 1991 I was a normal kid. I did normal things. I had friends and a mother who loved me. I was just like you. Until the day my life was stolen.
For eighteen years I was a prisoner. I was an object for someone to use and abuse.


For eighteen years I was not allowed to speak my own name. I became a mother and was forced to be a sister. For eighteen years I survived an impossible situation.


On August 26, 2009, I took my name back. My name is Jaycee Lee Dugard. I don’t think of myself as a victim. I survived.


A Stolen Life is my story—in my own words, in my own way, exactly as I remember it.

Comments:
- This book is very inspirational for anybody going through a rough time. It shows a girl in the worst circumstances who still had faith and dreams despite the hardships she was going through. Don't get me wrong, she does have her moments where she wants to give up (like any normal one of us has) and she still pulls through.
- It is a very easy, quick read. The writing is mediocre as it should be because this girl was deprived of her childhood and education at a young age.
- It definitely makes you want to keep reading so you can get to the end where she was captured and saved.
- You see how hardworking Jaycee is in this book and how she did a good job with her work throughout. Sometimes we get lazy at a job we're doing or our homework/projects and she puts in her best effort and it reminds you to be thorough with your job and not just cheat your way out because that only leads to mistakes and punishments.
- It was hard for me to understand the concept of her finding comfort in the all of the animals she had. I am not an animal person AT ALL and I don't want pets when I grow up. I don't hate animals or anything, I just think they are a lot of work and cost $ and shed, etc. She finds comfort in her cats and a close connection with them. I am happy she was able to find comfort in something, but she talks about the cats/dogs/pets A LOT in this story.
- Overall an excellent story describing how cruel some people can be in our society. It really makes you feel blessed for your life and shows you how everything can be taken away in an instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment