Monday, September 5, 2011

JLS

At times, I think this blog is turning into the online diary of an old fuddy duddy, so it's time to liven it up fellow blog perusers and recognise it's now 2011. The Vietnam war is over, colour televisions are the norm and "Lady Chatterley's Lover" is no longer banned. So let's get down in the hood baby by demonstrating up-to-date awareness of Britain's currently vibrant music scene. The band I wish to highlight is JLS ("Jack the Lad Swing") consisting of Marvin, Aston, Ortise and JB. They were formed in 2008 and came second in Britain's fifth series of "X-Factor".


The lads have enjoyed several hits, including "She Makes Me Wanna" which is essentially an expression of romantic interest by a young man towards an attractive young lady he has encountered whilst going about his daily life - rather in the vein of Lord Byron or Shelley. The term "wanna" is surprisingly not a colloquial version of the verb "wander" but a contraction of "want" and "to". The protagonist's poignant declaration of romantic love reaches its climax in the final section of the lyric where words almost seem to defeat him as basic instincts threaten to overpower him. Please study that end section before enjoying the YouTube version of the song that I have specially selected for your aural pleasure. Please feel free to sing and dance along with the boys:-


She makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh

Makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh



She makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh

Makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh



She makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh

Makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh



She makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh

Makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh



London to Jamaica

LA to Africa

She makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh

Makes me wanna

Oh oh oh oh oh oh








By the way, I must admit that this post in partly inspired by the evergreen Mr Brague who, in a recent post, celebrated Bette Midler's famous hit song - "The Rose".

No comments:

Post a Comment