Thursday, January 12, 2012

10 Tips for 10-hour Flights

For 26 years, I have regularly embarked on 10-hour flights, and I could probably write a book on what I know about traveling, but for now, here are my top 10 traveling tips:

1. Love Your Legs
I have circulation problems (I even had surgery last year), so I am extra diligent about my legs and feet when flying. I wear knee-high cotton compression socks (yep, the old lady types), sneakers that won't feel too tight if my feet swell up, lie down and put my legs up on pillows for 30 minutes before and after flights, take regular strolls along the airplane hallways (the flight attendants won't like it, but I rather take their nasty looks than have varicose veins at 26), and exercise on the day of and the day after a flight. If I can afford it or have extra miles, I fly business or first class. If I can't, I request an emergency exit seat in coach and fly with a carry-on that I can rest my legs on if they start to hurt. Before flying, check your aircraft online- the first row of coach usually has the most leg room, and you can switch your seats online.

2. Hydrate
I carry an empty water bottle in my bag and fill it up with tap water after I've gone through security at the airport. Yes, it will make me pee, but I make sure to drink at least one small bottle of water while flying. Once I land, I drink as much water as I can. Alcohol is generally a bad idea.

3. Food
The best option is usually to take a sandwich and some snacks that you have made yourself or bought from your favorite deli. But that's not always possible. So, you're stuck with airplane food, here are my rules: Always choose pastas over meats (less chance of food poisoning, and microwaved pasta is less disgusting than microwaved meat). If they give you a cold stone-like bread roll, put it immediately over the hot dish- this will soften the bread. I usually find the salads unbearable, but I use the dressing to dip the bread in, rather than try to spread ice-like fake butter on it. If you get a cookie, you can also put it over the hot dish to warm it up a bit, and that makes it much yummier. It's never going to be a gourmet meal, but you can certainly make do with what you get.

4. Entertainment
I usually have at least two magazines (one with lots of reading material, such as The New Yorker, and one that's complete junk, such as People), one book I'm dying to read, a diary (deep thoughts are birthed on airplanes), and a project (putting together a scrapbook, writing Christmas cards or postcards, decorating notebooks, etc.). I always count on airplane movies, too, to update me on Justin Timberlake's latest crap.

5. Clothes
Comfort over looks, always. There's nothing tackier than people who dress up to travel, especially if they're traveling first class. Jeans and heels are for masochists. My traveling attire is always the same. Comfortable black pants, a black or gray shirt, wireless bra, comfortable underwear, and a sweater with pockets. I always have extra socks, underwear, and a t-shirt in my bag, in the event that my luggage gets lost or a baby throws up on me.

6. In My Bag
I always carry a watch, two hair ties, hand moisturizer, small toothbrush & toothpaste, face cream, eye mask, hand sanitizer, tissues, and lip balm. I have a separate travel wallet for my passports, tickets, and extra cash (both in American dollars and in the currency of the country I am traveling to). I also keep any phone numbers or addresses I may need written on a piece of paper, should technology fail me.

7. Hair
I don't know why, but airplanes ruin my hair. I usually keep it tied up and wash it as soon as I can after my flight, but if I have to go somewhere as soon as I get off the plane or I am being met by, say, a boyfriend's mother, then I have learned that hair can be preserved by wearing a head scarf. Washing it the day before the flight and as soon after you land as possible is generally the way to go. Dry shampoo can also help, in the case of an emergency.

8. Be Polite
Even if your flight attendant is impatient and the person next to you is smelly, it is important to be polite on airplanes. No stealing magazines, hogging the armrest, moving other people's luggage, or leaving a mess on your seat. This is important because you may get food poisoning or your blood pressure may drop, and you may need help. In such cases, you do not want to have made any enemies on an airplane.

9. Avoiding Conversationalists
The best way to avoid an overly talkative neighbor is to pretend you do not speak their language. This means, however, that you have to do the same with the flight attendant and be sure not to let your passport give you away (this is why passport covers are great). If you don't want to be so extreme, make sure to have your headphones handy. People generally get the message, but, if they don't, try to figure out what will make them want to stop talking to you. Are they wearing a cross? Use the name of the lord in vain. Did they request a vegetarian meal? Tell them you hunt for sport. Things like that.

10. Luggage
My luggage is bright metallic pink and decorated with giant orange L shaped labels. This means I can always spot my luggage and it has never gotten stolen. I'm a fan of the four-wheeled suitcases and I firmly believe that it should be of excellent quality. I always have my New York contact information as well as contact information of wherever I am going on the labels. My luggage has gotten lost, but never forever.

These are my tips, folks! Hope you enjoy them!

Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment