Friday, February 4, 2011

Johnson: "I plan on working my booty off!'

This news has been going around the blogs for the past week that 2008 olympian Shawn Johnson has been re-named to the USA gymnastics national team after the most recent camp at the Karolyi ranch. Other returners include Ivana Hong who like Johnson is returning from an ACL tear in her knee.

Full Twist has posted a link to Shawn's latest personal blog on her website where she writes about the quality of the newer gymnasts and the fact she still has a long way to go to get into competition shape.


So, as I sit here on the flight home from Karolyi’s Camp… I’m thinking about everything that’s gone on in the past few days and the exciting new doors I see opening ahead of me.

Camp ended up going very well. I wasn’t able to do everything I wanted to do because of my knee, so it was more of a conditioning camp than anything… but I can only go up from here, right?! I’m finally getting close to the shape I want to be in and able to do the skills I need for my routines. I learned a lot at this camp and got some great insight as to how the world of gymnastics has evolved in the past couple of years…. And let me just tell you… THESE NEW GIRLS ARE AMAZING! Go team USA! Its exciting to get back into the system and see the hope for a fantastic future team. The girls are working so well with each other and the potential strength of what our team is capable of is incredible!  We sure will be the team to beat ;) 

Now, don’t get me wrong, I still have a LONG way to go to be in contention for making any kind of team, but coming out of camp I feel motivated and excited to push myself into my first competition. The next camp we have is in 5 weeks and I plan on working my booty off so I can show up and prove to Martha that I am just as deserving for a spot on a team as anyone!

As for everything else… things are going good. My body feels pretty good. I have aches and pains here and there but that’s to be expected. My spirit and mind are in a great place and everything else in my life seems great, as well.

See the updated list of National team gymnasts here. Martha has lost a number of gymnasts to injury and to college gymnastics Mackenzie Caquatto has remained on the team despite now competing in the NCAA for florida. She has also been re-joined on the national team by her sister Bridgette. 

Question this obviously raises is when will we see Shawn back in competition - Classic? Visas? 
Also if and when we will see Nastia return to the ranks?

No comments:

Post a Comment