Friday, February 11, 2011

The realm of professionals?


Forgive me if this comes as a rant but I was disappointed yesterday to read the opinions of a sports photgrapher I had previously admired. Full Twist linked to an article by photographer Eileen Lansley in AIPS magazine (read it here on page 46-47 of the virtual magazine).

Lansley complained that 'happy-snappers' (ie any sports fan with a camera) were ruining the lives of professional photographers and that amateur photographers were getting in the way at major sporting events. Lansley is outraged at photographers who take photos to 'service their own blogs and give photos away to anyone who asked for them'

I don't wish to tread on anyone's toes here but as a keen amateur photographer myself I see no fault in people with a love of a sport and a keen eye taking photographs from the sidelines or the stands provided they are permitted by event organisers to do so. The world of sports reporting is changing so that more minor events are reaching a wider audience. There is no rule to say that only 'paid professionals' have the right or capability to photograph the sport.

As much as I love Lansley's images, equally many of my favourite images from the recent gymnastics world championships in Rotterdam were taken by bloggers and keen amateurs such as The Couch Gymnast and Grace Chiu, both of whom were generous enough to share their beautiful images via facebook and other media. I have a feeling it is exactly these kinds of individuals that Lansley is so adverse to. (EDIT - I've been corrected, Grace is actually a generous pro!)

We live in a world of free communication and reporting and those who take great photos have the right to do with them what they will. I can understand how photographers who have made their living in a comfortably exclusive business may feel their bank balances threatened. But in my opinion they no longer have the right to crow over it from their pedestals. I welcome all comments and opinions on this matter.

(All photographs courtesy of yours truely!)

No comments:

Post a Comment