Monday, January 3, 2011

A Change of Heart

Amidst days of boredom and rain, I had a strange realization. I can no longer love someone who doesn't love me. It used to be possible- I had my heart broken enough times by people whom I loved dearly but who did not return the sentiment to know that it was possible.

And then, one day, it wasn't possible anymore. Even though I thought it might be worth the risk, my heart wouldn't budge. No, it stubbornly persisted, I will not love just anyone anymore. I want to be loved in return.

Maybe it's experience. Maturity. Growth.

Or maybe my heart has hardened and developed caution. It is no longer an innocent child, or a willing adolescent. I'm an adult, after all, and so my heart responds accordingly.

I do not know whether to be happy or sad. I just know that I have changed, and so has my ability to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment