Friday, January 7, 2011

The ongoing antics of Johnny Weir

Love it or hate it, Johnny Weir has become one of figure skating's most public faces. The skater who finished 5th in Turin and 6th in Vancouver has gone on to find fame with a fashion line, a movie and now an autobiography.

For many years Weir has refused to confirm or deny that he was gay, stating that it was private and had nothing to do with his performance on the ice. However, in his new memoir, "Welcome to My World" Weir spoke openly about his sexuality for the first time. Whilst few will be surprised by the news or hold it against him, it does beg the question why he took such offence at questions of his sexuality until now. He claims he 'came out' to challenge stigma in the wake of gay youth suicides.

Today Weir wrote on his twitter account: I don't remember ever pretending to be something other than I am, nor do I remember living with my coats inside a wardrobe. I just live.

No comments:

Post a Comment