Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gao looks to be a contender at Nationals

Universal Sports this week posted an article on US skater Christina Gao. The now main female student of Brian Orser is looking to improve on her impressive senior debut last year at the US championships where she was 5th in an olympic year. A metioric rise for someone who 2 years earlier was 12th in the Novice competition!

This year Gao has looked to improve the maturity and difficulty of her programmes. She was 6th at the Junior Grand Prix final this season after jump errors in the short programme. In the free skate she was third behind the Russians, Sotnikova and Tuktamisheva.

Here are some of the questions and Gao's responses from her interview with Universal Sports

What were you goals heading into summer training?
This year I want to be mentally stronger. That was my main goal, being able to find my zone. I used to watch Michelle Kwan and every program she's so focused and that's why every time she could perform under pressure.
I worked harder than I have in any other season. After being at Nationals that was the Olympic one- it really opened my eyes. Also watching the Olympics. The last time I watched I was 12, so you don't really pay attention that much. [Watching the 2010 Olympics made me] determined to be the best I could be.


It must have been even more personal to see your former training-mate Yuna Kim win?
It was amazing to watch somebody you see every day and then look on TV and there she is, Olympic champion. That's every skaters dream and she actually achieved it. Seeing how she trained, how she dealt with pressure and the media -I was lucky to see that. Of course now she's gone, but I miss her and I wish her all the best.


What do you like best about your new programs?
I love the choreography in both of them. I love the triple-triple in both, but I hope the whole program can be like, ‘Wow.' That's what I want.


Assess your fall season on the Junior Grand Prix.
I didn't do that well at the Final, but I'm really happy with how I did at both my Junior Grand Prixs. It was definitely - wow, those 13-year-old Russian girls throwing out triple-triples like it's nothing. It was good for me mentally to be able to think, ‘You can't get distracted by that. Yeah they're much younger and really good, too, but focus on myself and doing my job.'


What is it like training with U.S. teammate Adam Rippon?
He's like my big brother. We tease each other all the time. He works really really hard, he's determined and that really sets the tone for everybody else in the rink. He's a really good role model. People feed off of that energy.


Has he challenged you to do jumps with your arms over your head?
No no. I don't think I could do that. I don't even know how he does that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Yu-Na Kim has recieved an official apology from Japanese broadcaster NTV after they reportedly filmed her training without permission. Kim is in training for a return to competition at the world championships in Tokyo in March.

“She’s gearing up right now,” said David Wilson, “But it’s a difficult situation. She has never taken a year off like this.” (Globe and Mail)

There is a chance that as well as facing off against her old rival, Mao Asada in Tokyo, She may be facing off against a former team-mate if Gao can make the world team.

No comments:

Post a Comment