Thursday, July 14, 2011

The end of an Era

You all know what I'm talking about: Harry Potter.




Tons of emotions come over me as tonight marks the final movie, the last straw in this stupendous series. I'm overjoyed and excited to see this movie, but I know that when it's over there will be no more books, no more movies, no more waiting in line to get seats at the midnight premiere. I'm deeply saddened to see it all coming to a close knowing this really is it.

My mom originally bought the first Harry Potter book for my older brother over 12 years ago. I remember that she bought it at Costco with my Aunt because she had heard it was a good story. My brother didn't show much interest at first, and so she left it on the chair in the living room. I still remember seeing it there and looking at it, and picking it up to read when no one could see me. The only thing I remember after that was going down to my brother's room every night asking if he was done reading it so I could continue it. We both instantly fell in love and never looked back from there.

I remember for my 12th birthday my aunt and Uncle had pre-ordered me the Order of the Pheonix. I was SO excited. They said it would ship to my house and I would have it on the day of release. I remember I was in Mountie Camp (Basketball Camp) the week it came out. It was a day camp and I came home that day in June so excited to finally read this novel. I got home and there was no book. I was beyond devastated. I needed that book. My mom was sure it would be there the next day. So, the next day came and I came home after camp and there was still no book. I was so upset and jealous of everyone else reading it. Later on in the evening my neighbor walked over with a package. Inside was my book. Apparently the UPS man had delivered it to the wrong house. I was so furious at my neighbors for not bringing it over sooner, but I wasted no time and jumped right in. Ever since then I pre-ordered every book and waited in anticipation for the next to come out.

So there it is, my childhood. I grew up with Harry, Ron, Hermione and friends and even though it is really over, these books and characters will live inside me forever. I'm so thankful I have gotten to experience this amazing era of the magical world of Harry Potter. Thank you Joanne Rowling for inspiring readers everywhere and sharing your story with us. Your experiences in real life have made this book everything it is and will forever be. I will never forget the values and lessons it taught me and I will forever read them over and over because I know I will be overcome with emotions turning the pages as if it was the first time I was reading these magical stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment